MULTICULTURAL COUNCIL OF WINDSOR & ESSEX COUNTY
PROGRAM: Language Training
POSITION: Instructor Assistant
REPORTS TO: LOW Manager
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: None
The Language Training Instructor Assistant will be responsible for assisting individual Language Training Instructors with the delivery of the Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) initiative as required for the MCC’s LOW Programs for Newcomers to Canada as funded by Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). In addition the position is considered the internal supply for instructors sick or vacation coverage, as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- TESL Ontario certification and/or Bachelor of Education considered assets.
- Experience and/or appropriate background in teaching multi-level language classes with the ability to work on a contract basis according to the assignment.
- Knowledge and experience with issues related to diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and be flexible to demanding and changing timelines
- Administrative, written/oral communication and computer skills are essential.
- Proficiency with business technology and Microsoft Office is a must. Experience with online platforms such as Zoom, Teams, Google Classroom etc are an asset.
- Previous experience working in Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada funded programs is an asset.
- Must possess a valid Level 3 vulnerable sector police clearance, renewed every 3 years.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provide Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) initiative support to the program, its instructors and their respective CLB level classes as well as the registered students within.
- Support can include coverage of CLB Language Training classes, delivery of lessons, observation of students, delivery of individual/group assessments as well as reporting back to the instructor as required.
- Administrative assistance with any and all aspects of PBLA including assisting with the order of new binders, delivery of binders to students, tracking of binders with Language Training Intake, etc.
- As the position is considered the internal supply for the Language instructor sick or vacation time coverage, knowledge of all class levels and current theme plan is necessary. Regular collaboration, liaising and communication with each level and its respective instructor is essential.
- May include providing additional after-class learning time on-site for students requiring tutoring, assistance, etc. with adjustments to work schedule if needed.
- Provide support and instruction to new clients who may be struggling with getting online for remote programs and services.
- Follow the guidelines described in the MCC Policy and Procedures, and Language and Skills Program Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Follow the supply procedure as outlined in the Language and Skills Program Policy and Procedure Manual for any sick or emergency reporting.
- Participate in end of session activities and/or events as required.
- Provide administration with all the requested information in a timely manner, including checking and replying to emails regularly.
- Attend all scheduled meetings as required.
- Attend all professional development activities as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- **NOTE: Due to COVID, several of the tasks and responsibilities above are handled digitally online while working from home. When we consider re-opening we may move to a hybrid model of online and in-person delivery or full in-person classroom delivery depending on the timeline, provincial and local health unit recommendations while following all required safety protocols.
MCC CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Seeks to understand support and work toward MCC’s goals and objectives.
- Steps forward to address difficult issues and presents concerns constructively.
- Champions new and innovative approaches.
- Develops commitment in others through participative decision making and empowerment.
2. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
- Participates in sector specific committees and promotes MCC vision.
- Develops and nurtures a strong network of contacts by partnering with community agencies, ethno-cultural groups and community committees.
3. CLIENT FOCUSED
- Demonstrates an understanding of internal and external clients and gives precedence to the needs of clients.
- Requests feedback and input from clients and uses it for continuous improvement.
4. TEAM WORK
- Demonstrates a readiness to assist others.
- Participates actively on teams, contributing ideas and suggestions towards meeting MCC goals.
- Is open to others ideas and supports team decisions.
- Demonstrates awareness and respect for others’ objectives and responsibilities.
5. POSITIVE COMMUNICATION
- Presents information and expresses ideas clearly through the spoken word; influences or persuades others.
- Writes clearly and effectively to present ideas and to document activities.
6. MANAGING RELATIONSHIPS
- Attempts to resolve conflicts situations collaboratively and works toward win –win situations.
- Builds support for ideas or changes by developing and presenting logical arguments.
- Motivates and generates commitment by tying ideas into the needs and goals of MCC and others.
- Acknowledges and assumes of responsibility for actions within the scope of their position with respect to their, program/services, clients, and the organization as a whole.
- We require a Resume and Cover letter in .doc or .pdf format, by email to:
RE: Language Training Instructor Assistant
- Email to: email@example.com
- THE MCC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND WELCOMES ALL APPLICANTS FOR THIS POSITION; HOWEVER ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED
TIMELINE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Deadline to Submit Applications: 5:00pm, Friday, November 10th, 2021