PROGRAM: Language Training
REPORTS TO: LOW Manager
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: None
The Language Training Instructor will be responsible for preparing and delivering English language class(es) as part of the MCC’s LOW Programs for Newcomers to Canada as funded by Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- TESL Ontario certification required. Preference will be given to applicants with Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) experience.
- Experience and/or appropriate background in teaching multi-level language classes, and the ability to work on a contract basis according to assignment are also necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Sensitive to the needs of adult language learners, including having awareness of the multicultural community and cross cultural issues.
- Administrative, planning, written/oral communication and computer skills are essential.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office is a must.
- Previous experience working in Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada funded programs is an asset.
- Previous experience working with HARTs database is an asset.
- The position requires a valid Level 3 vulnerable sector police clearance, renewed every 3 years.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Prepare and deliver daily instructional materials and assess student’s progress as per the required Canadian Language Benchmark level(s) for the specified Canadian Language Benchmarks covered (Reading/Writing or Listening/Speaking). Note: Some classes may require an online component.
- Ensure that all students participating are eligible and have been referred by the Language Training Program Assistant.
- Conduct needs assessments for the students in your class to ensure their participation in the thematic planning of the class.
- Complete attendance records on a daily basis in the HARTs database. Work with Language Training Program Assistant and/or LOW Manager on any problems with attendance.
- Administer Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) into their classrooms according to the implementation outlined by the PBLA Lead during implementation training.
- Liaise with the Instructor Assistant for support on PBLA as needed.
- Administer computer training and/or language related lessons through software or online resources in the Language Skills computer lab during requested scheduled times.
- Submit at the end of each semester/session the proficiency checklists for all students that meet the CLB and PBLA requirements. This may evolve into the PBLA Student Progress Report once implemented.
- Progress student’s individual benchmarks as required.
- Report on a daily basis, students who have been dropped.
- Assist students with Social Services Attendance reporting as needed and submit in a timely fashion to the Language Training Program Assistant for faxing to Social Assistance.
- Follow the guidelines described in the MCC Policy and Procedures, and Language and Skills Program Policy and Procedure Manuals.
- Follow the supply procedure as outlined in the Language and Skills Program Policy and Procedure Manual for any sick or emergency reporting and supply.
- Participate in end of session activities and/or events as required.
- Attend all scheduled meetings.
- Attend all professional development activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
MCC CORE COMPETENCIES:
- 1. LEADERSHIP
- Seeks to understand support and work toward MCC’s goals and objectives.
- Steps forward to address difficult issues and presents concerns constructively.
- Champions new and innovative approaches
- Develops commitment in others through participative decision making and empowerment.
- COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
- Participates in sector specific committees and promotes MCC vision.
- Develops and nurtures a strong network of contacts by partnering with community agencies, ethno-cultural groups and community committees.
- CLIENT FOCUSED
- Demonstrates an understanding of internal and external clients and gives precedence to the needs of clients.
- Requests feedback and input from clients and uses it for continuous improvement.
- TEAM WORK
- Demonstrates a readiness to assist others.
- Participates actively on teams, contributing ideas and suggestions towards meeting MCC goals.
- Is open to others ideas and supports team decisions.
- Demonstrates awareness and respect for others’ objectives and responsibilities.
- POSITIVE COMMUNICATION
- Presents information and expresses ideas clearly through the spoken word; influences or persuades others
- Writes clearly and effectively to present ideas and to document activities.
- MANAGING RELATIONSHIPS
- Attempts to resolve conflicts situations collaboratively and works toward win –win situations.
- Builds support for ideas or changes by developing and presenting logical arguments
- Motivates and generates commitment by tying ideas into the needs and goals of MCC and others.
- Acknowledges and assumes of responsibility for actions within the scope of their position with respect to their, program/services, clients, and the organization as a whole.
Please forward your resume and cover-letter, in PDF format, by email to:
Hiring Committee RE: Language Training Instructor
THE MCC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND WELCOMES ALL APPLICANTS FOR THIS POSITION; HOWEVER ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES DURING THE RECRUITMENT, ASSESSMENT, AND SELECTION PROCESS WILL BE ACCOMODATED UPON REQUEST.
TIMELINE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Deadline to Submit Applications: Friday, September 21, 2018 by 5:00pm