Windsor Resettlement Assistance Program – WRAP

Every year, the Windsor Resettlement Assistance Program (WRAP) at the Multicultural Council of Windsor and Essex County (MCC) offers services to approximately 300 Government Assisted Refugees (GARs) destined to Windsor. WRAP is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

WRAP assists GARs with airport reception, providing temporary accommodation, orientating clients to life in the community, income support orientations, introducing them to their rights and responsibilities under the Resettlement Assistance Program, opening bank account, helping them secure permanent accommodation, applying for utilities, linking GARs to federal and provincial programs (i.e. SIN, OHIP, Child Tax Benefit, GST/HST etc.) These objectives are achieved by utilizing our very experienced WRAP team and the assistance from our dedicated Language Aids complemented with the resources and community relations that the MCC have established.

A GAR is eligible to receive income support from CIC to cover their basic needs for their first year in Canada or until the GAR becomes financially self-sufficient.

RAP Life Skills the component of the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) is designed to supplement the services provided to GARs upon their arrival to Canada. Intensive one on one orientation is delivered to clients in their own native languages upon moving to their permanent accommodations.

Life Skills are delivered in the following areas:

  • Personal health and safety
  • Safety at home
  • Banking and budgeting
  • Transportation
  • Shopping
  • Making and keeping appointments
  • Information about community


Please do not hesitate to contact MCCā€™s Windsor Resettlement Assistance Program Manager, Marcela Diaz at 519-255-1127 ext. 118, for further information.

Please note: WRAP services can only be provided to a Government Assisted Refugee (GAR). A GAR is an individual selected overseas by a Canadian visa officer as a Convention Refugee or as members of the Humanitarian Designated Class.

More information can be found at the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada at

Share This