The Multicultural Council of Windsor and Essex County (MCC) is preparing for the arrival of a larger influx of Syrian refugees. Some arrivals are privately sponsored. Others are Government Assisted Refugees (GARs). All faced incredible odds to survive, were forced to flee their homes, and are in desperate need of Canadian’s humanitarian assistance.
The MCC plays a vital role to the successful resettlement and integration of refugees in our community. The MCC is one of six agencies across Ontario who provides resettlement services to GARs, and one of 36 agencies across Canada. There is a lot of work ahead for both the newcomers who come to our community and agencies like the MCC, who offer assistance with their settlement and integration.
Programs such as:
- The Resettlement Assistance Program provides support in the first two to six weeks and includes: temporary accommodation; orientation about life in Canada, connect to essential services and assistance to find permanent homes.
- The Client Support Services support GAR clients to resolve issues; provides appropriate referrals to other services; and offers practical guidance to cope with everyday living for up to twelve months.
- Our Community Partners improve client's access to services in the community relevant to housing, schooling, employment, English language training, child care, health care, community integration, and much more.
There are many ways to contribute to a welcoming and safe environment for refugees. Numerous Windsorites are generously giving clothing, bedding, furniture and canned goods. If you would like to contribute, please contact the City of Windsor’s 311 and 211 phone services, who are gathering all the information and coordinating the efforts.
In addition, you can also help through monetary contributions to the MCC that will assist in providing essential supports and services for the refugees, such as:
- Interpretation and translation services
- Transportation support
- Positive and welcoming activities
Whether it’s $5 or $500 your contribution will go a long way to effectively help people seeking protection and looking to build a new life in our community.
We kindly welcome donations to assist our efforts towards a more positive settlement experience.
For Additional information, please visit: